Here's the second part of this post on online news services.
The first part gave links to online news services intended specifically for English language students (often using simplified English). This second part gives links to online news services for native speakers, that can be considered very useful for English language students too.
Online news services for native speakers
"Visit BBC News for up-to-the-minute news, breaking news, video, audio and feature stories. BBC News provides trusted World and UK news as well as local and regional perspectives. Also entertainment, business, science, technology and health news... The BBC News mantra has always been one of truth, impartiality, accuracy and diversity of opinion."
- Choose between UK or International versions of the BBC News Front Page or focus on:
>>particular geographical areas: Africa, the Americas, Asia-Pacific, Europe, Middle East, South Asia, the UK
>>Business, Health, Science/Nature, Technology, Entertainment
- Have Your Say: participate in online forums and discussions about different news topics
- In Pictures: photo galleries of news stories
- Week at a Glance: the most important new stories of the week
- Country Profiles: instant guides to history, politics and economic background of the countries and territories of the world, including audio and video clips
- In Depth: reports on the week's major news stories and key issues. Each report contains a combination of news, background information and expert analysis.
BBC WORLD SERVICE
- Read or listen to the BBC News in 43 different languages!
Google News gathers stories from more than 4,500 news sources in English worldwide, and automatically arranges them to present the most relevant news first. Topics are updated every 15 minutes, so you're likely see new stories each time you check the page. You pick the item that interests you, then go directly to the site which published the account you want to read.
What if I want to see more news about my country?
Google News is offered in several versions, each tailored to a different regional audience around the world.
Argentina, Australia, Austria, China (http://news.google.com/news?hl=zh-CN&gl=cn), Chile, France, Germany, Hong Kong, India, Italy, Japan (http://news.google.com/news?hl=ja&gl=jp), Korea, Mexico, New Zealand, Spain, Switzerland (French), Switzerland (German), Taiwan, United Kingdom, United States
You can build and share your own customised version of Google News. Customised news allows you to create your own sections on the Google News front page to focus on, for instance, your favourite technology, sports team or entertainment. You can also rearrange your sections and choose which ones to show by mixing and matching any of the sections from the 22 regional editions of Google News from around the globe.
YAHOO! NEWS TOP STORIES
Satirical international and US news stories
Human interest (strange, funny, etc) stories from around the USA.
Also, something completely different:
reddit is a source for what's new and popular online. reddit learns what people like as they vote on existing links or submit their own.